Friday, June 10, 2011

Amazonian Axial Queen







Drawn on the day of 6-9-11 near S. Van Ness. My first day off from work in days, and an excellent day to draw. Chacon tagged along with me and worked on a strange cartoony piece near me, while I worked on this winged woman warrior. The sun was lovely and we were working in an area with nicely textured sidewalk.
The day took an annoying turn when a belligerent, probably drunk guy kept walking by and muttering threats at us. I guess he wasn't happy with the wacky drawing Chacon was making near the entrance to his apartment building. It was apparent that he was just one of those angry people that goes around looking for a problem, and that anything we said to him would probably just stoke the anger, so we said nothing. Even as he was threatening violence. This upsets me a bit, since I abhor violence and conflict. And because this type of reaction is exceedingly rare. It was amusing when, towards the end of the session, Angry Drunk Idiot (Chacon referred to him as 'Goblin'!) was muttering away, and about 2 or 3 people walked by (as usual) who were really digging it. One lady said to him,'What, you don't like the colors?'. Around the same moment, a guy walked by and said 'I really enjoy it. Thank you.' We made a point of thanking the well wishers and ignoring Goblin.
People enjoying it and expressing their appreciation is the norm. If I were pondering this philosophically, I might call it the natural, necessary chaos element in the system, the black dot in the center of the white half of yin yang.

No comments:

Post a Comment