Sunday, February 19, 2012

Conjurer of Golden Halo












A special piece drawn in Hayes Valley on 2-17-12. My first large piece in some time. Sort of a tribute to a poet friend, Charlie Getter. Gone out of state and missed by his friends and compatriots. I had a sketch I'd made of Charlie delivering a poem from a frame of the 'Sweet Onion Salad' documentary and invested it with my characteristic style. Fanciful crown and abstracted armor. I laughed when someone walked by and said "Dragonball Z?". A mother with her daughter had asked if it was Thor. Hayes Valley at Octavia/Hayes is a preferred drawing spot of mine. It's a pleasant but lively park area in a zone of restaurants and boutiques. A good amount of foot traffic and interest in the mural. Recent developments in the area have brought in coffee and ice cream booths and a biergarden. I rather miss the giant rusty woman sculpture.
A bit of a strenuous day of drawing, as I was rushing to race the daylight. I included a line of poetry of Charlie's: "When we're alive, we're radioactive. As we go from flesh to bone to peat moss, we become less so."

No comments:

Post a Comment